Finding the best things the Twin Cities have to offer - for pennies!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

An Enchanted Forest in the City


The Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden and Bird Sanctuary is truly magical. Walk through the gate and you're immersed into a deciduous forest, filled with birds, flowers and animals. I half expected characters out of Beatrix Potter books to pop out at any moment!

The Specs:
- The sanctuary is located in Theodore Wirth Park, which is minutes from downtown or uptown Minneapolis.
- Admission is free, save a few quarters for parking if you're driving.
- Also accessible by bike paths.
- Home of the Minnesota state flower, the Ladyslipper! I've seen pictures but never had the opportunity to see one in person. Very geeky of me to be excited, but I'm trying to learn as much about my new home state as I can!
- Bring mosquito repellant and dress appropriately. I didn't and came out of this experience with mosquito bites everywhere and dirty feet (from NOT wearing good shoes).
- Walk the entire park. Totally worth it and doesn't take long at all. There's a lowland portion (where the ladyslippers and goldenrod grow) and then a hilly part that makes you think you're in the wild.





No comments:

Post a Comment