Finding the best things the Twin Cities have to offer - for pennies!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Foodie Day!


Even though I'm not a self-proclaimed foodie, it's fun to have a list of cool restaurants, cafes, and bars to go to if the mood strikes.

Today, I'm reviewing Rustica. It's located in Calhoun Village on West Lake Street in Minneapolis. Since this is my neighborhood, I've been meaning to try it for some time - I love all things bakery and all things European.

At first impression, it's a small, simple bakery with a lot of bread and a fair amount of pastry variety. Being the chocoholic I am, I chose the chocolate croissant. One word to describe? Unbelievable. I could have sworn I was in a French boulangerie! The croissant was crispy and buttery on the outside and perfectly chewy on the inside. There was just enough chocolate to satisfy the biggest sweet tooth but not enough to cover up the pastry enveloping it. Rating? Five million stars.

Of course, no breakfast is complete without coffee for me. Their coffee menu perplexed me because they don't just have carafes of coffee to pour from. They brew each cup individually when you order. I like to think of myself as a coffee connoisseur, but my coffee costing more than my croissant? I think not. I ordered coffee that was a medium roast from Brazil. My thoughts: maybe there is something to this made-to-order coffee. It wasn't burnt tasting, like the coffee you'd find sitting in carafes for hours. The blend was smooth too - no acidity. Verdict? While this won't be a daily habit, I'll definitely return on special occasions (or Fridays... or Mondays...) for a great cup of coffee.

The Specs:
- A great place near Lake Calhoun for pastries and coffee!
- Local bakery - not a chain.
- Everything made on site. You can even see it being done through the front windows!
- Really helpful, friendly and efficient staff.
- Two words: chocolate croissant. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment